This page may contain affiliate links. When you click our links and take action, we get a small comission at no cost to you. Read here for more info
Gutters do not require frequent cleaning unless it gets clogged with foliage and other debris. Generally, you’ll only need to clean it twice a year for maintenance. You will need a bucket, gutter scoop, cleaning gloves, and a ladder to do this task.
Fortunately, we know just the best ladder for cleaning gutters. Keep on reading to see them yourself.
- 1 Buying Guide: What Makes The Best Ladder?
- 2 Best Ladders for Gutter Cleaning
- 2.1 Best Gutter Cleaning Ladder – Little Giant Ladders Select Step Adjustable Ladder
- 2.2 Best Telescoping Ladder – Ohuhu Telescoping Ladder
- 2.3 Best Extension Ladder – Little Giant Ladders Velocity With Wheels
- 2.4 Best Step & Folding Ladder – CharaVector Lightweight Folding Ladder
- 2.5 Best All-Purpose Ladder – Little Giant Ladders Flip-N-Lite Stepladder
- 3 FAQ About Ladders for Gutter Cleaning
- 4 Best Ladder for Cleaning Gutters Conclusion
Buying Guide: What Makes The Best Ladder?
When choosing the best ladder for cleaning gutters, there are a couple of factors that you need to put into consideration. This way, you will know that you are only getting the best in the market today. Here are the things you need to look out for in a ladder:
Type of Ladder
- Extension – Extension ladders are straight and require a wall to lean on. It can also extend twice its size and has a locking system.
- Telescopic – These ladders can be compressed down to a couple of feet and extend to full size as needed, making them an excellent option for home use and cleaning gutters
- Step and folding – These are the more common type of ladders for home use due to their portability. They can be easily stored when not used and do not take too much space.
Before deciding on the best ladder for cleaning gutters, it is essential to consider its height first and reach. Too short or too long ladders can potentially be dangerous in certain situations, so it would be best to choose wisely. You should consider the height of the gutter and choose the perfect height of the ladder from that.
You also have to evaluate the height of your gutter. Usually, you will need a 16-foot extension ladder for a gutter height of 9-foot, 24-foot for 13 to 17 feet, and 40-foot for 28 to 31 feet.
If you plan to use stepladders, you can use a 3-foot ladder for a gutter height of 7 feet. Additionally, 5-foot for 9 feet, 7-foot for 11 feet, 12-foot for 16 feet, and 16-foot step ladder for a 20 feet gutter height.
Weight & Load Capacity
For home use, you don’t need heavy-duty ladders to do any tasks that require it around the house. However, you would still want something that is not cheap and can support you and your tools. One way to know the total weight of one ladder can help is to check their duty ratings.
Duty ratings are assigned to each ladder and written in Roman Numerals from lighter capacity to higher capacity. Type II and Type III ladders are typically used for household and commercial settings for lighter tasks, while Type IAA, Type IA, and Type I are for professional and industrial use.
When choosing the material of a ladder you’d want to purchase, it’s best to narrow down your choices to these three:
- Fiberglass – Great choice for professional-use, durable, and electrically non-conductive
- Wood – Economical choice and electrically non-conductive as well when dry and clean
- Aluminum – Lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and durable
Remember these factors when deciding on the best ladder for cleaning gutters for your needs.
The last aspect to consider when searching for the best ladder for cleaning gutters is the locking system. Not all ladders have a locking system, but they can provide additional height and stability when incorporated. However, be sure to choose the one with a reliable lock to avoid any potential accidents in the future.
Best Ladders for Gutter Cleaning
There are numerous ladders available in the market today, but how sure are you that they are worth your money? Fortunately, we have just the perfect solution to that. Here are the best ladder for cleaning gutters so you will be safe and efficient as you work.
Best Gutter Cleaning Ladder – Little Giant Ladders Select Step Adjustable Ladder
Its design is straightforward to understand, but it doesn’t compromise its appearance. The black, silver, and orange color of the ladder makes it look sophisticated and reliable at the same time.
This item, in particular, is a Type IAA ladder with adjustable steps and ranges around 6 to 10 feet. It is made of fiberglass so that you can ensure its quality and durability. The ladder can support a weight of up to 375 lbs. It is also non-conductive, so it is safe to use near live circuits.
- Safe to use on uneven surfaces
- Lightweight and portable
- Has a comfortable standing platform
- Do not fade quickly with extended UV exposure
- Narrow rungs
- Replace multiple sizes of stepladders in one versatile 15131-001
- Available in 5' to 8' and 6' to 10' models
Best Telescoping Ladder – Ohuhu Telescoping Ladder
This product has over 6,514 reviews and a total of 4.5 out of 5 stars as of writing. The Ohuhu telescoping ladder is made of aluminum and has a one-button retraction for easy handling. The manufacturers ensured that this ladder was convenient and could be operated effortlessly to speed up the job.
Due to it being lightweight, you can carry it easily from one place to another. Its solid stability makes it sturdy when in use and can carry up to 150 lbs. The non-slip ends of the ladder hold it in place, which lessens the chance of having slip-related accidents. Unlike other ladders, it also has wider steps, so all you have to do is focus on the job without compromising your safety.
Pinching fingers? That is not a problem with this Ohuhu ladder. It is specifically designed to retract safely and has intelligent locking pins to hold each section in place. Thanks to its versatility, this product is easily a homeowner’s best friend.
- Easy to store
- One-button retraction
- Locking pins can break with excessive weight
- One Button Retraction: Convenience is key! That’s why we’ve designed this telescoping ladder with easy one button retraction. Simply push down on the thumb buttons and the ladder will slowly slide down effortlessly
- America National Standards Type I Ladder: Ohuhu extension ladder has passed the test of ANSI-ASC 14.2-2017 American National Standard for Ladders-Portable Metal - Safety Requirements, which makes it be safer and more reassuring when use the ladder
Best Extension Ladder – Little Giant Ladders Velocity With Wheels
As mentioned before, Little Giant Ladders are well-known for their unique products. With 14 649 ratings as of writing and 4.8 stars out of 5, this is the best extension ladder that you can find anywhere.
Depending on what size you need, you can get it in 13 ft, 17 ft, 22 ft, or 26 ft. It is also a multipurpose ladder. You can use it as an extension, A-frame, 90-degree, and trestle-and-plank with ease as it has a rock lock that efficiently transforms the ladder into different configurations.
Adding to that, this Little Giant ladder has a tip and glide wheel so you can easily transport it anywhere. It can hold 300 lbs as a Type IA ladder.
- Has palm buttons for easy operation
- Ratchet levelers for uneven surfaces
- Compatible with accessories
- Rock Lock
- May pinch fingers if not careful
- Multi-position ladder converts to A-frame, extension, trestle-and-plank, 90-degree and staircase with ease
- Rock Lock adjusters quickly alter your ladder into different configurations
Best Step & Folding Ladder – CharaVector Lightweight Folding Ladder
It is currently at 4.7 out of 5 stars and is well-loved by its loyal users. It can support a weight of 330 lbs and works as an excellent platform tool both indoors and outdoors.
This ladder is sturdy, stable, and safe to use in high load-bearing. The rungs are wide and have a layer of rubber, making it easier to step on by anyone. It also has a non-slip design to prevent falling incidents and non-slip rubber feet that reduces floor damage and sliding.
- It has a built-in tool tray
- Limited height options
- [Sturdy Ladder Construction] This ladder provides stability, safety and high load bearing. Steel structure with high quality makes the ladder stable, and enables the ladder to bear the weight up to 330 lbs. Wide steps along with the anti-slip platform guarantee user safety. The anti-slip rubber feet not only ensure your safety when stepping on the ladder, but also helps to prevent damage to your floor and furniture. Moreover, the handrails help to reduce accidents caused by falling.
- [Built-In Tool Tray] The top part of the ladder serves as a tool tray. This great design made the ladder itself a perfect ladder for home, which could fulfill variety of your needs, including reconstruction, painting, and cleaning work, etc. Size of the tool tray is surprisingly large, which provides plenty of space for tool storage.
Best All-Purpose Ladder – Little Giant Ladders Flip-N-Lite Stepladder
For the best all-purpose ladder, this is another Little Giant ladder! It has a simpler design, but you can guarantee its quality and use it for a long time.
It works well as a platform, with extra-wide rungs that prevent foot fatigue. It has 5 stars out of 5, which speaks a lot for itself. You can even get it in three sizes: 4 ft, 5 ft, and 6 ft. The ladder is made of aluminum, Type IA, and can support a weight of up to 300 lbs. It is also lightweight, perfect for easy transportation around the work area.
Let us not forget the tool tray where you can conveniently place all of your tools. You can use it in painting, cleaning, reconstruction, and more. The release handle also makes the transition smooth and safe and reduces the chance of finger pinching.
- Wide rungs
- Scratches easy
- Comfortable standing platform makes the Flip-N-Lite ideal for long-term usage
- Extra-wide rungs prevent foot fatigue
FAQ About Ladders for Gutter Cleaning
How to use a ladder safely when cleaning gutters?
Choosing the right size and type of ladder is important to clean the gutters safely. You can refer to the guide to determine what ladder to purchase. Other than that, you can also do the following:
- Where should the ladder be placed while cleaning gutters?
You should place the ladder on a firm and level ground across a wall or the roof before using it. Some ladders come with ratchet levelers to balance the ladder if the terrain is uneven.
- Is it okay to lean the ladder on the gutter?
No. It is not safe to lean the ladder on the gutter itself. Instead, you have to find a solid point to lean your ladder in without damaging the gutter or putting you in a dangerous situation.
- How tall should a ladder be to clean gutters?
It is recommended to use a ladder at least 4 ft above the step you are stepping on. The height of the ladder that you should use also depends on the height of the gutter. Ladders that are too short or too tall can sometimes lead to accidents and injuries, so be careful.
How do you clean the gutter without a ladder?
There are other ways to clean gutters without using a ladder, such as a leaf blower, vacuum cleaner, and a power washer. However, they might not always work with clogged gutters.
Can I use a vacuum for my gutters?
Yes. There are available gutter vacuums, and they work well in cleaning out debris and foliage.
Best Ladder for Cleaning Gutters Conclusion
There is no need to be scared or worried when cleaning your gutters. Ladders are an excellent tool for this task, and you can easily do this as long as you have the right tools.
These are the best ladder for cleaning gutters, so go on and check out the one that piques your interest.
We hope this article has helped you find the best ladder for cleaning gutters for your needs.